Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Experience with Shakespeare

Shakespeare is an acquired taste.  But it seems to me that many things of value have a taste to acquire.  I have played sports my whole life, and the more I invest toward gaining an understanding I find a corresponding acquisition of appreciation.  This is even true of the sports I previously didn't like very much.  So to say that Shakespeare is an acquired taste is a compliment; it means his works have value.  I would say that each of his plays have their own taste to acquire, and thus their own unique value or contribution.  Growing up I read, or almost read, a couple of Shakespeare's plays.  Over the years I have developed an appreciation for journal writing, and thus an appreciation for well chosen words for everyday feelings.  I also frequently feel frustrated when I can't find the right words for an experience, a feeling or an idea.  My personal desired to better my expression has given me the perspective I need to enjoy, appreciate, and especially admire Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment